- I use a chalk board or dry erase board so I can easily add & remove words
- I use colored chalk or markers to color code my words- one color is for high frequency words, another is for enrichment vocabulary words. I bought Bistro board style chalk markers from Hobby Lobby (see pic below). They are perfect!
- When the wall is full, I'll take a picture of it, print it, and have it available in the room for kids to refer back to during writing.
- Pictures- I'm going to try adding pictures next to the enrichment vocab words as visual cues.
- Get your enrichment vocabulary words from read alouds. Thank you Junie B. for the word suspicious!
- Use SOME of the vocabulary words from your basal story. Be selective!
- Sparkle Words- Reward students who actually use the enrichment vocabulary words in their writing. A skittle goes as long way!
- Feature words by putting a magnet, pom-pom, etc. next to a word. If a student uses it, they get props (or a skittle)!
Yellow is for high frequency words and pink is for enrichment vocabulary words.
Hobby Lobby Bistro Chalk Markers
They are bright and beautiful!
Sparkle word & reward students who use it in their writing
Side Note: There's a "I'm Invisible" light button on my board. I turn it on when I'm testing or in small group. For some reason, 7 year olds don't understand "Do not interrupt me." But they understand a light! Thanks to my grade level team mate for sharing this idea!